Tips to cope with University Stress / anxiety


Hi everyone,
So it's week 3  of Uni  & I'm feeling good * touches wood*.  I'm excited at the idea of learning new things, creating new memories and most importantly, working on becoming a better version of myself this year.  But the recollection of my first year, my second semester, in particular, reminds me that it wasn't all daisies and roses and there were some rough times. So without being off-putting to your experiences at University, I thought it might be helpful for me to give some of my tips that worked for me.

Josh Neufeld for NPR  Health news from NPR

  I know being a newbie anywhere can be daunting, being surrounded by people you think are experts in a field where you are not. Being a newbie at Uni is tough because some of you are settling into a new environment, maybe this is the first time some of you have actually had to be independent. And it's scary.  But what's important to remember is that you're going to be fine.

iStock by getty images

  Firstly, the fact you're going to Uni means you're a bright spark and I truly believe that education is the best thing you can provide yourself.  For the worriers, I would say don't stress too much. Which is a stupid thing to say, considering I  am a fellow worrier, and no matter what anyone says it won't stop me from worrying because that is my nature. I would say what you can do is try to stay calm and enjoy the process. Try to take every day as it comes, with a positive mindset at the start of the day and at the end. My personal favorite thing to do is to write down a positive thing that has happened in my day at the end of the day, whatever it is. Whether it be, ' ate 5 fruit/ veg today' or ' had the guts to talk to the guy on floor 2 today.' 
Just try your best, that's all you can do.


Seeking alpha

  If you struggle with work, work at it, I think the first year is getting you to just realise the difference between a-level, and learn what learning technique works best for you. Try your best because the skills learnt this year will help you in the remainder of your degree and the years to come. 
You're one of the few people that love to lay in pj's and binge-watch Netflix series, eat freezer food for the whole year (I mean who doesn't) and actually have a semi-valid excuse at the same time.  The excuse being,  'we are students'. But if you do start to feel down in the dumps at Uni, odds are its your insides that are making you feel that way. So get dressed,  get some fresh air and take a  walk around campus or a nearby Park. 

A lot of the time we neglect our diet as students, opting for whats easy because of our lack of sleep and quick easy access to soemthing which is palatable. But have a go at cooking some fresh meals, you might end up enjoying cooking like I did. 

I  recommend, joining a gym, or some type of club where you can get active. I never was a gym junkie my whole life, but joining the gym at Uni was the best thing I could have done for myself. It gives me a release somewhere to let out all my stress levels and feel fresh for the day. 

If you like a daily routine, part of the day where you wake up at a set time, do some reading, go to the gym, prepare your meal, get dressed,  having that independence at Uni can be really enjoyable for you 

Whats important is for you to realise, this is your own personal Uni experience, I think it's easy to look at what grades your mates have got and compare, but you just do the best for yourself. The hard work always pays off in some shape or form and is very rewarding.


families online

  Save but don't scrimp.
Now I know being a Uni student is no lavish lifestyle. I know very well, that its hard. For me, this was the first time I had to manage money and it really taught me the value of it. Planning out meals before you do your shopping is a really great way to save money. And if you can find an Aldi close by, you could potentially be doing more saving.

  Lastly, I would say, be sociable and have fun, because if there's anything that I think we all can agree on, its that life goes by really quickly and the next 1, 2,  3, 4, or more years of your degree are gonna fly by.

I hope this hasn't been too heavy. I  think it's a useful thing to get tips and advice from people over how they overcome their own problems. We can use these tips that we share with each other, in our own lives to become better versions of ourselves and how nice is that ?






Comments

Popular Posts